Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 lb fresh button mushrooms, sliced (6 cups)
- (optional: reserve and sauté 1 cup for garnish)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Hungarian sweet paprika, or 1 ½ tsp Hungarian hot paprika
- 1 tbsp less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper crotons, for garnish
- Melt butter in a 4- to 5- qt. pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes more. Stir in broth, paprika, soy sauce, and dill. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Whisk together milk and flour in a small bowl. Stir into soup. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes more.
- Stir in sour cream, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Simmer, covered, until heated though, 3 to 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley, sauteed mushrooms (if using), and croutons.
Courtesy of – “Modern Proper” – https://themodernproper.com/hungarian-mushroom-soup
We appreciate hearing your thoughts and “What’s on your Design Mind”?